Asbestos in Apartment Buildings
The asbestos attorneys at Williams Kherkher have a lot to consider when we hear the story of a new client. One common thread among all of our clients pursuing a claim of this type is that these stories are all extremely difficult to endure. What’s even more disturbing is that the following facts are nearly constant when it comes to asbestos exposure:
- Most of the diseases associated with asbestos do not have a cure
- Some of the diseases linked to asbestos cannot be diagnosed for years
- Many who suffer from asbestos-related diseases live with extreme pain
- Almost no one who has been exposed realizes it until it’s too late
The asbestos attorneys at Williams Kherkher would like to help avoid future exposures by helping you understand environments in which you may be exposed to asbestos and its debilitating results. Below is just one of many of these environments.
A Location to Examine Closely – Older Apartment Buildings
The asbestos attorneys at Williams Kherkher have provided representation for many clients who were exposed to asbestos while living in older apartment developments. People live in apartments for many reasons, and the fact is that until relatively recently, asbestos was a quite acceptable substance to use in buildings. The reasons for this acceptance included its flame-retardant qualities, its durability and its relative cost-effectiveness compared to other substances of the same ilk.
Therefore, if you are considering moving into an apartment complex that was build more than 20 years ago, you need to perform the following due diligence before moving into your new home:
- Find out when the complex was built
- Find out what materials were used during construction
- Find out if the buildings are “up to current code”
- Ask specifically if asbestos was ever present in these structures
- If it was used, find out when the asbestos was removed
- Ask when the last inspections were performed, and how often they’re done now
Overall, you simply cannot ask enough questions to guarantee your safety, nor can you be too careful. Exposure to asbestos can deadly, and if you have been harmed because of this type of exposure, you need to contact the asbestos attorneys at Williams Kherkher today for a free initial consultation.