Over the summer, Darnall Hall at Georgetown University underwent renovations including asbestos abatement. The dorm was opened in 1965 and asbestos, which was often used as a material in construction, was not federally banned until 1970. Old carpeting was stripped, as well as underlying tiles and mastic that contained asbestos. The renovations and abatement were supervised by an Environmental Protection Agency approved contractor and an industrial hygiene contractor.
Anyone who inhales asbestos fibers or dust are at risk of contracting a rare lung cancer called mesothelioma. Asbestos can cause scarring and inflammation in the lining of the lungs and other internal organs, and cause malignant cancer cells to form. Mesothelioma is often difficult to diagnose because it has a long latency period.
Doug Bond and Neil Parikh, former roommates at Darnall, said in an email, "It is not surprising that there was asbestos in the building, but definitely incredibly alarming…The carpet looked disgusting at the time, but we did not know that it was a safety concern".
If you or someone you love has suffered due to asbestos exposure, contact the asbestos exposure attorneys of Williams Kherkher LLP at 800-781-3955 to learn more about your rights.