Tom Firth worked at Bethlehem Steel, Sparrows Point in South Carolina in the 1950s. He worked as a mechanic's assistant for less than a year, using gaskets made by Garlock Sealing Technologies LLC. Those gaskets contained asbestos, and were the only known cause of Firth's exposure to the subtance. As a result of that exposure, Firth developed mesothelioma.
On July 13, 2007, Tom Firth died less than a year after he was diagnosed with mesothelioma in November of the preceding year. His family brought a case against Garlock Sealing and the jury ruled in their favor on June 26, 2009, awarding $700,000. Unfortunately, in cases like this, justice only comes about after the death of the victim.
If someone you love has been diagnosed with mesothelioma, contact the South Carolina mesothelioma attorneys of Williams Kherkher at 800-781-3955.