The fire that occurred on March 29 in Alameda, California spread ash, paint chips and debris across the surrounding community. On April 14, the Fire Marshall assured everyone that there was no health hazard. However, it was found that asbestos, lead and another carcingenic chemical called methylene chloride were all spread by the fire.
According to the city, no ill health effects are expected as a result of the fire. However, inhalation of asbestos during and after the fire could lead to mesothelioma. There were also 2.34 parts per billion of methylene chloride in the air as a result of the fire. A "normal" amount of this carcinogen is less than .5 parts per billion. However, the city has not addressed these issues.
If you or someone you know has been exposed to asbestos, contact the California mesothelioma attorneys of Williams Kherkher at 800-781-3955.