An asbestos scare has shut down the operating rooms of Gartnavel General Hospital, one of the Scots Hospitals, in Glasgow, Scotland. Apparantly, a pipe burt in the ceiling, causing it to collapse and expose a large amount of asbestos. Operations had to be postponed and rescheduled in order to keep the patients away from the dangerous substance.
Asbestos exposure can lead to terrible medical conditions such as asbestosis and mesothelioma. It takes prolonged exposure to allow asbestos to build up in the lungs, but exposure to asbestos during surgery could potentially facilitate these medical conditions much more rapidly. Because of this, asbestos exposure in this type of setting can be incredibly dangerous.
If you or someone you know has been exposed to asbestos, contact the mesothelioma attorneys of Williams Kherkher at 800-220-9341.