Important Chemotherapy Drugs
Mesothelioma is one of the most deadly cancers, and sadly, it is also one of the most preventable. People have known for decades that asbestos exposure can lead to deadly illnesses like cancer and asbestos poisoning, and unfortunately, many people were still exposed to this material by employers, landlords, and other careless parties. There is no known cure for mesothelioma, but one of the most effective treatments is chemotherapy.
The asbestos attorneys at Williams Kherkher believe that those people who knowingly expose others to asbestos should be held accountable for the harm they cause. If you or a loved one has been exposed to asbestos and has been diagnosed with an asbestos-related illness, such as mesothelioma, call our offices today at 800-781-3955 to learn more about your legal rights and options.
Some Chemotherapy Medications
Chemotherapy is one of the most effective, but also one of the most risky, ways of treating mesothelioma. Luckily, the science community is active in cancer research and new drugs are constantly being formulated and tested, with hopeful results. Here are some common and upcoming chemotherapy medications:
- Onconase—this drug is currently in the clinical trial phase and has shown approximately 50% effectiveness, with milder side effects than some others
- Gemcitabine—this is a weekly medication aimed at preventing RNA and DNA production within cancer cells
- Navelbine—this medication is effective in approximately 25% of mesothelioma patients; it helps prevent cells from breaking off into new cells
- Carboplatin—this is usually used in conjunction with other chemo drugs, and has been used as an alternative to cisplatin because it tends to have fewer side effects
- Cisplatin—this is one of the oldest chemotherapy drugs and is usually used in conjunction with others, especially Alimta
- Alimta—this medication is the most commonly prescribed chemotherapy drug to mesothelioma patients, and is the only one approved by the FDA to treat malignant pleural mesothelioma
Let a dedicated asbestos attorney from Williams Kherkher fight for justice on your behalf. If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with an asbestos-related illness, we may be able to help you fight for the compensation you need. Call us today at 800-781-3955 and learn more.